When I first started reading this book, the plot moved slowly, which I did not relish. However, as the book established more tension and action, I started to grow fond of this book. There was barely any action in the beginning third of the book, but toward the end of the book, it had too much action, which I do not particularly enjoy. Despite the structure of the book, the author uses descriptive words to create intense pictures in my mind. Through the vivid pictures the author painted in my mind, Eragon transforms from a poor farm boy to a strong, fierce dragon rider in the end. After finishing every last page of this book filled with action, I recommend Eragon for ages 11-15 due to some violence and some harder to understand vocabulary. Even though the structure of the book was not written too well, I would give this book eight stars out of ten because I loved how the storyline was written.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1. What was the first word the dragon, Saphira, thought?
1a. Saphira thought of the word Eragon. (46)
2. Where does the name Saphira come from?
2a. Saphira was a Rider’s dragon name. (55)
3. Why was Saphira worried about Eragon?
3a. She was worried because she could not reach Eragon for two days. (88)
4. What is an Urgal?
4a. It is a tall, gray skin, yellow-eyed monster. (132)
5. How do you find your true name?
5a. Riders go on a quest to discover it or find an elf who would tell them. (147)
Repugnant (pg. 40)
Uncomprehendingly (pg. 80)
Rejuvenated (pg. 128)
Parried (pg. 160)
6. Who has a great fascination and passion for the ocean?
6a. Elves have a fascination for the ocean. (169)
7. Who does Eragon say is crazy?
7a. He believes Angela the herbalist is crazy. (180)
8. What was Eragon never taught to do?
8a. He was never taught to read. (192)
9. What is Eragon looking for in the scrolls?
9a. He is looking for anything that mentions Seither oil. (215)
10. Where does Eragon find Ra’zac’s lair?
10a. He finds it in Helgrind. (254)
Strenuous (pg. 170)
Turmoil (pg. 183)
Yowled (pg. 200)
Amiss (pg. 225)
11. Why is Saphira excited to be at the dessert? (331)
11a. Saphira is excited because she has space to fly, things to hunt, and the warm weather.
12. How does Murtagh assure Eragon he is not working for the bad guys?
12a. Murtagh shows Eragon a scar on his back his dad gave to him when he was young. (370)
13. Why is Eragon confused when two people appear at the doorway?
13a. He is confused because the two man behind the staircase are identical twins. (402)
14. Who was waiting for Eragon at the dragonhold?
14a. A dwarf was waiting for Eragon at the dragonhold. (439)
15. Where do the Urgals come out from?
15a. They come out from a tunnel. (479)
Brandished (pg. 350)
Faltered (pg. 382)
Stipulation (pg. 409)
Elongating (pg. 471)