My first impression of The Giver was from the movie trailer and not the actual story. At first, I had believed it to be the classic rebel story but it has turned out to be different. It took a strange spin on equality as colors and true emotions were not present. A world without war and sadness yet at the same time not joy and excitement. The vocabulary was not at all difficult, only a few harder words. I would recommend it to late elementary and early middle-schoolers as that is the time children start to understand the weight of society and also read it through a simpler manner. To further help those who wish to read it, I would rate it eight stars out of ten.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1. What caused confusion amongst the Community?
1a. A lone jet that was flying off-course. (2)
2. What ‘number’ is Lily?
2a. Lily’s birth-number is twenty-three. (16)
3. Why does Jonas’ mother think Birthmother is a bad job?
3a. Birthmothers have “little honor” as they only birth three children before becoming a simple Laborer
the rest of their working lives. (27)
4. What quirk of Asher’s gives him trouble?
4a. Asher speaks to quickly and trips over his own words. This is an unlucky trait as Asher’s setting believes punctuation must be impeccable. (5;70)
5. Who is the replaced child?
5a. The child who is replaced is Caleb, a Four who drowned. (56)
6. How many years ago was a Receiver of Memory chosen?
6a. The last selection was made ten years ago. (76)
7.Which of the rules startled Jonas the most?
7a. The rule which startled he was allowed to lie. (87)
8. Which memory did Jonas first receive?
8a. The memory of sledding down a snow-covered hill. (100;101)
9. Which color did Jonas see first?
9a. The first color of the spectrum is what Jonas first saw, red. (119)
10. What happened to the memory of sailing?
10a. When Jonas touched Gabe’s back, the memory unknowingly transferred to Gabe. (147)
11. What is the Giver’s favorite memory?
11a. The Giver’s most loved memory was one of Christmas Eve. (154)
12. Why was Jonas about to cry when his friends were playing?
12a. The game they were playing was one of war and reminded Jonas of a very painful memory. (168)
13. What is the nickname Jonas’ father gives him?
13a. His father calls Jonas “Jonas-Bonus”. (172)
14. What was the name of the previous Receiver-to-be and who was she?
14a. Her name was Rosemary and she was the Giver’s daughter. (176;203)
15. How long did the previous Receiver train for?
15a. She only trained five weeks before she was released. (177)