In the beginning of the book, I thought it was going to be confusing because it started talking about Abnegation and the factions without saying anything about how society worked. Later, the story became easy to understand and it shows how people are not perfect and can be corrupted. The story is interesting and has details, and the setting is unique. The author, Veronica Roth, used some vocabulary words but not too much so younger readers could understand the book. The best part of this book would be the end of the book when the soldiers are attacking Abnegation and Tris has to save everyone and stop the Dauntless from killing people. I would recommend this book to high school students and older middle school students because it includes some romance. If I could go back in time, I would choose this book again because it is an engaging and hard to put down. I would rate this book nine out of ten stars.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1. Which factions can Beatrice join because of her divergence?
1a. Beatrice can join Abnegation, Dauntless, or Erudite.
2. What do the Dauntless do to get to the school?
2a. The Dauntless jump off a moving train.
3. How is the Erudite sole representative chosen?
3a. The person with the highest IQ is chosen as the representative.
4. What are in the bowls for choosing Abnegation and Dauntless?
4a. The Abnegation bowl has grey stones in it and the Dauntless bowl has sizzling coals.
5. What is at the bottom of the big hole Beatrice has to jump into?
5a. A net that catches the jumpers.
placid (pg. 4)
demeanor (pg. 6)
supersede (pg. 9)
duplicity (pg. 29)
homogeneity (pg. 39)
6. Why is Beatrice’s mother unable to visit Caleb?
6a. Erudite people do not want people from Abnegation in their compound.
7. What rank is Tris for stage one of the training?
7a. Tris is sixth place.
8. What building does Tris zipline off of?
8a. Tris ziplines off the Hancock building.
9. How does Four find out that Tris is divergent?
9a. Tris breaks the glass tank in the simulation.
10. What rank is Tris after stage two?
10a. Tris is first place.
scrutinizing (pg. 168)
tactlessness (pg. 183)
camaraderie (pg. 223)
visceral (pg. 230)
guttural (pg. 323)
11. What is Tobias’s theory on bravery?
11a. Tobias thinks selflessness and bravery are similar.
12. Why does Tris recognize Jeanine’s voice?
12a. Jeanine’s voice was in the aptitude test.
13. What fear does Tris find out about Christina when she opened a cabinet?
13a. Tris found out that Christina was afraid of moths.
14. What does Tris do to overcome her last fear in the fear landscape?
14a. She lets Jeanine shoot her instead of shooting her family.15. How does the Erudite plan on controlling the Dauntless?
15a. They inject transmitters into everyone to make them go into a simulation where they are controlled.
insurmountable (pg. 337)
connotation (pg. 350)
perusing (pg. 358)
inebriated (pg. 378)
masochism (pg. 397)