When I first opened the book, I thought that it would be quite enjoyable. Having read all the other books, I thought I would know what the book was about. But the ending turned out to be a complete surprise. I thought that after I read a few pages, I would become bored and put off reading it until the last few days. But after I found out who Will’s apprentice was, I was completely intrigued. I think that the author used excellent word choice, because a lot of the words I saw throughout the course of the book were words that we learned in class. Even so, there were some words that I could not quite understand, and that was the only weakness of the book that I could find. One of the strengths was that the author captures your attention from the very beginning by giving away some but not all of the fascinating information in the story. I would recommend this book for seventh through ninth grade, and rate it nine out of ten stars.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1. Who is Will’s apprentice
1a. Will’s apprentice as a ranger is princess Madelyn
2. Who is commander of the rangers?
2a. Following commander Crowley’s death, the rangers appointed Gilan as commander of the rangers.
3. Appointing the princess as Will’s apprentice solves which two problems?
3a. Appointing the princess as Will’s apprentice solves Will’s problem dealing with Alyss’s death. It also solves Madelyn’s immaturity problem.
4. How did Will find out that Madelyn had run off to a party with her friends?
4a. He found out because she had taken her cloak.
5. What is the code to ride Madelyn’s ranger horse?
5a. The code is “don’t break me.”
6. What was Maddie and Will’s first mission together?
6a. Their first mission was to eliminate an egg thief, which turned out to be an animal.
7. What was Maddie’s role in the villages she and Will visited?
7a. Her role was the daughter of a man looking for work, and her job was to find out what she could
from the village children.
8. Who does The Stealer send to scare Maddie?
8a. The Stealer sends Benito, a retired Iberian soldier.
9. What does Maddie do when she is not with the village children?
9a. She helped clean dishes in the inn, and also served as a waitress.
10. What weapon does Benito use to try and kill Maddie?
10a. Benito used quattros, and Iberian weapon.
11. What did Jerome tell Will after Will returned to the village?
11a. Jerome told Will about the dead man they had found outside the inn.
12. What did Will find out about Violet Carter, who was the girl that the Stealer would probably take?
12a. He found out that she was mistreated by her parents, who were always fighting and took their
anger out on their daughter.
13. From where did the kidnappers enter the village?
13a. They entered the village coming from somewhere behind Will, who was hiding in the bushes.
14. How did Will start the attack on the slave traders after he discovered their camp?
14a. He started the attack by shooting fire arrows at the ship.
15. How long had Madelyn trained before she received the bronze oakleaf?
15a. She had trained nine months, rangers usually trained twelve.