As I read this book, I noticed the special characteristics that it had. The book did not have extremely confusing vocabulary, so it was very easy to understand. However, it was sometimes too easy to understand and it did not paint the most vivid picture in my mind. The book also had some unique vocabulary and slang that is explained by the characters. At some points the story also dragged on a bit too much. I could tell that the author really wanted to stretch out the parts before the main points in order to make you want to read on, but sometimes it was just too long. Although this book is as long as most other popular books of this time, I believe it took longer to read because it was very intense. There are many emotional and extreme moments in the story. Overall, I would give this book eight out of ten stars and I would recommend it to older middle school students and high school students.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1.What is the only thing that the main character can remember out of his past life?
1a. The main character can only remember his name. (pg.1)
2.What is the area that the boys live in called?
2a. The area is called the Glade. (pg. 4)
3.What is the name of the boy who is in charge of Thomas’s first day sleeping arrangements?
3a. The name of the boy is Chuckie or Chuck. (pg. 12)
4. After seeing the maze, what does Thomas tell Chuck he wants to be?
4a. Thomas tells Chuck that he wants to be a Runner. (pg. 34)
5. Who are the two runners that do not make it back before sundown?
5a. The two runners were Alby and Minho. (pg. 107)
trepidation (pg. 29)
litany (pg. 31)
bestial (pg. 95)
succinct (pg. 110)
morbid (pg. 116)
6. When in the maze, what word does Thomas see written on the beetle blade?
6a. Thomas sees the word WICKED written on the beetle blade. (pg. 125)
7. What does the Council decide as Thomas’s punishment and reward for staying in the Maze overnight?
7a. The Council decides to lock Thomas up in the slammer for one day as his punishment, but let him become a runner as his reward. (pg. 166)
8. What does Thomas promise Chuck?
8a. Thomas promises to get Chuck back home. (pg. 195)
9. After his first day of training, what is unusual to Thomas the next day?
9a. The sky is gray. (pg. 218)
10. What does Teresa have written on her arm?
10a. Teresa’s arm says “WICKED is good.” (pg. 237)
abyss (pg. 138)
chagrin (pg. 152)
delve (pg. 179)
secluded (pg. 199)
balked (pg. 242)
11. What does Alby decide to do on the that the maze does not close?
11a. Alby decides to go to the Map Room. (pg. 251)
12. What is the first letter of the “Maze Code” that Thomas figures out?
12a. The first letter was “F”. (pg. 277)
13. How long did the Changing take for Thomas?
13a. The Changing took three days. (pg. 299)
14. According to Thomas, what is the only way to escape the maze?
14a. The only way to escape the maze is through the Griever Hole. (pg. 309)
15. What is the last variable?
15a. Gally is the last variable. (pg. 355)
somber (pg. 252)
penetrating (pg. 253)
rebuke (pg. 260)
retaliate (pg. 294)
fleeting (pg. 319)