The novel gives good description of characters and places so it is easy to imagine settings and characters. The novel has constant action so there is never a dull moment. It is easy to identify the plot as it is made very clear. Each event that Rick Riordan put in the book had a purpose. He did not ramble about things that would not be important in the end of the book. However, the book has many different events that occur so by the end of the book, it will be very difficult to remember them in sequence. The book word choice could be better as the vocabulary is a little weak and should be more difficult. I would recommend this book to children who are twelve years old. I would give the book nine out of ten stars as I would have liked it better if the vocabulary was stronger.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1. Who is Amos?
1a. He is Julius’s brother.
2.Why did Julius try to summon a god with the Rosetta Stone?
2a. Julius was trying to summon his wife from the dead.
3. Where was the mansion that Amos took Carter and Sadie to located?
3a. It was located in Manhattan, New York.
4. What god did Sadie’s cat turn into?
4a. Sadie’s cat turned into the Bast, the goddess of cats.
5. Where did Zia take Carter and Sadie after they escaped Serqet?
5a. Zia took them to the Hall of Ages
6. What did Set use to trap Osiris?
6a. Set trapped Osiris in a golden coffin.
7. How did everyone in Zia’s home village die?
7a. Zia’s father accidentally released a monster from a statue he discovered.
8. What does the glowing eyes of the “Set Animal” mean?
8a. Once the “Set Animal” eyes start to glow, the animal has caught the smell of its prey and will never
loose it. It also means that it will now be able to track you anywhere in the world.
9. Which state and which college did Carter, Sadie, and Bast find Thoth in?
9a. They found Thoth in Memphis. He was in the University of Memphis.
10. Why did Carter and Sadie’s parents release Bast from the abyss that Ra had put Bast into to fight Apophis forever?
10a. Carter and Sadie’s mom had foreseen bad things. Bast had started to loose the fight against Apophis, so Carter and Sadie’s mom released Bast from the abyss to give her some time to rest before going back to fight Apophis again.
11. Which city did Anubis take Sadie to when she had reached the Hall of Judgement?
11a. Anubis took Sadie to New Orleans.
12. When did Amos come back to help the kids?
12a. Amos came back to help them when the children were fighting Sobek.
13. Why did Zia want to meet Carter alone?
13a. Zia wanted to meet Carter alone because she wanted to tell him Set’s secret name because it was the key to defeating Set.
14. Zia was a godling. Which god was she hosting?
14a. Zia was hosting Nephthys.
15. What deal did Carter and Sadie make with Set?
15a. They agreed to release Set into the duat until chaos is needed. When chaos is needed, Set will have to obey Carter and Sadie.