Throughout the book, I felt that the author’s word choice was very weak, and I rarely came across unfamiliar words, so I would recommend this book for children around fifth to sixth grade. Also, the book is a coming-of-age story and revolves around teen romance, therefore material did not appeal to me much, and I would probably not choose to reread this story. However, one of the strengths of the book is that it is very relatable because the story follows the perspective of a teenager struggling with bullying from their sibling and classmates, which expands the amount of readers because this problem occurs around the world. In addition, the switching viewpoints of Emma and Kendra’s anecdotes from her past predicaments were very interesting to read because the story compares two different personalities of the main characters and keeps the reader engaged into the story. In conclusion, I would rate this book a seven out of ten stars.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1. What was the gingerbread house made of?
1a. Children (pg. 16)
2. What is the only way a witch can die?
2a. Fire (pg.26)
3. Who is Emma’s new stepsister?
3a. Lisette (pg. 53)
4. Why did “Lizzie” move in with Emma?
4a. Her mom died, and Lisette was originally Emma’s stepfather’s child. (pg. 53)
5. Who does Lisseth hang out with on the first day school?
5a. Courtney and her group of friends (pg. 78)
eaves (pg. 7)
harlots (pg. 20)
strident (pg. 24)
coven (pg. 104)
cynical (pg. 109)
6. What does Emma name the escaped rat?
6a. Runaway Ralph (pg. 166)
7. Who is the new member of the newspaper club?
7a. Warner (pg. 168)
8. Whose house does Warner take Emma to as a date?
8a. Brendan’s house (pg. 178)
9. Why did Emma not attend the cast party?
9a. Her dad had a heart attack (pg. 208)
10. What does Emma’s mom do the day after Emma’s stepdad dies?
10a. Her mom moves all of Lisette’s belongings into the guest bedroom. She also makes Lisette act like a servant. (pg. 210-211)
extortion (pg. 119)
twangy (pg. 199)
cantankerous (pg. 218)
fortuitous (pg. 218)
debarking (pg. 218)
11. From who did Emma’s mom receive the Travis Beecher party invitation?
11a. One of Emma’s dad’s clients (pg. 289)
12. What does Doria exchange to Kendra for legs?
12a. Her voice (pg. 243-244)
13. How does Doria kill herself?
13a. She opens the oven, turns the knob, and forgets to light the match, which kills her because of the poisonous gas smell. (pg. 267)
14. What is Emma’s plan to get Warner back?
14a. Lisette would attend the party and Warner would go along with her and see her true self. (pg. 310)
15. Where does Travis invite Emma to film his new movie?
15a. Italy (pg. 337)
impertinent (pg. 236)
tomes (pg. 240)
ruffians (pg. 240)
serendipity (pg. 283)
cognizant (pg. 307)