When I first opened this book and started to read, I found it very difficult to understand what was happening. After rereading the pages a few more times, I started to understand what was going on in the story. As the book progressed, the location of the story often jumped around, forcing me to take time to fully digest what I had read. The author foreshadowed often, letting me be constantly interested in what happened next. I enjoyed how she wrote the book, because I could easily imagine myself in the main character’s, Kat’s, situation. I feel this book would be best read by students ages twelve to fifteen. It starts out slowly, but then starts to quickly jump around. If I went back in time, I would probably choose this book, because it seemed like it matched my age level well, and was a very enjoyable book to read. Overall, I would rate it eight out of ten stars.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1. Why was Katarina kicked out of school?
1a. She was framed of stealing personal property.
2. Who framed her?
2a. Her best friend, Hale, framed her.
3. What is one theory of how Katarina was given a spot in the school?
3a. Katarina’s dad was very rich. 4. How long does Katarina have to return the paintings?
4a. Katarina was given two weeks.
5. Who is the person that gave her two weeks?
5a. Arturo Taccone (the person whose paintings were stolen) gave her two weeks.
alumni (pg. 1)
allegedly (pg. 14)
heist (pg. 44)
inkling (pg. 74)
patented (pg. 83)
6. How many days are there until deadline when Katarina meets Mr. Stein?
6a. There are eight days.
7.What does Hale say when Katarina is shocked he’s never been to Henley?
7a. Hale replies, “Should alcoholics go to liquor stores?”
8. What are the names of the Bagshaw brothers?
8a. Their names are Simon and Gabrielle.
9. What is the Visily Romani known for?
9a. Visily Romani is known for robbing five banks in one night in 1932, and making it off with half the crown jewels from Russia in 1960.
10. Visily Romani is one of the whats?
10a. He is one of the Pseudonimas
scrutinizing (pg. 126)
docents (pg. 143)
teeter (pg. 144)
goonlike (pg. 146)
manila (pg. 150)
11.What did Katarina want most as she walked away from her father?
11a. Katarina wanted to go home.
12. What kind of phase is Hale’s mom going through?
12a. Hale’s mom is going through a feline phase.
13. How did Felix hurt his legs?
13a. Alligators hurt Felix’s legs.
14. Where is Katarina at three days before deadline?
14a. Katarina is at Wyndham Manor England.
15. Are the paintings in good condition when they are returned?
15a. They are in good condition.
executive (pg. 179)
cryptic (pg. 197)
indifference (pg. 181)
furnace (pg. 196)
pristine (pg. 273)