The first Lord of the Rings book is a good book for people who love to read fantasy books. The book is a little boring near the middle, but both the beginning and end of the story makes the reader want to finish the book. The author describes everything in detail which can make the book boring at times. Yet at the same time those details can make some scenes interesting and make the reader want to keep reading. Since the book was written along time ago, the author uses words, which are not often used in modern times. I would not suggest the book to younger kids because the long chapters and descriptions can easily bore them. I would suggest the book to kids who are in eighth grade to adults. I would especially suggest the book to people who are avid readers of fantasy. I would rate this book eight out of ten stars.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1.Why did Frodo leave his house in BagsEnd?
1a. To destroy the one ring. (pg.35)
2. Who was to accompany Frodo while he destroyed the one ring?
2a. Sam was to accompany Frodo. (pg.70)
3. Who created the One Ring?
3a. Sauron the Great or the Dark Lord created the ring. (pg.56)
4. How did Pippin and Merry learn what Frodo was doing?
4a. Sam told them. (pg.117)
5. Who saved Pippin, Merry and Sam?
5a. Tom saved Pippin, Merry and Sam. (pg.134)
dwindled (pg 2)
respite (pg 55)
laden (pg 75)
shrewd (pg 115)
hoary (pg 31)
6. Who is the ranger that the hobbits met in Bree?
6a. The ranger was Strider, a friend of Gandalf. (pg.192)
7. Where were the hobbits and Strider header after they left Bree?
7a. They are headed toward Rivendell. (pg.195)
8. Who cured Frodo from his knife wound?
8a. Elrond the elf saved Frodo. (pg.248)
9. Which of the council of nine tried to kill Gandalf?
9a. Sauraman the White head of the council turned bad. (pg.294)
10. Which two volunteer to take the ring to Mordor?
10a. Frodo and Sam volunteer to go to Mordor. (pg.304)
uncouth (pg 170)
swooned (pg 221)
remnant (pg 247)
wraith (pg 248)
contrived (pg 287)
11. Who were six to accompany Frodo and Sam.
11a. The six are Gandalf, Strider, Pippion, Merry, Legolas, and Boromir. (pg.309)
12. What were the eight attacked by?
12a. They were attacked by orcs. (pg. 370)
13. Who fell into the bridge?
13a. Gandalf fell into the bridge. (pg. 371)
14. How did Frodo live after he got shot by the arrow?
14a. He lived because of the armor Bilbo gave him. (pg. 377)
15. Who tried to steal the ring from Frodo?
15a. Boromir tried to steal the ring. (pg.449)
thither (pg 327)
thickets (pg 396)
toilsome (pg 413)
pent (pg 442)