I never thought that I would like the book when a friend recommended it to me. I read the first few pages, and decided to read the rest of it. This book is interesting in a way that it makes sense, especially with the water horse eating people on November. There were good word choices, and nothing too complicated. There weaknesses in this particular book was that it was somewhat predictable, and that the ending ended strangely. I would recommend this book to older middle school students and young high school students because of the contents in the book. The meaning of what the author is trying to convey in the book is hard to understand unless someone is looking hard to find the moral. This is a really good book overall, and as the book goes on, there are unexpected plot twists and is interesting. I would rate this book nine out of ten stars.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1. Why does Puck ride in the races?
1a. She wants to prevent Gabe from moving away. (25)
2. Why does Peg put Sean’s name at the top of the list?
2a. Sean has won four times; people think his name belongs at the top of the list. (64)
3. Why is Mutt not allowed to choose his own horse?
3a. His father wants Sean to choose his mount, because Sean knows the horses best. (131)
4. Who owns Corr, Sean’s horse?
4a. Corr belongs to Benjamin Malvern. (131)
5. Who is Mutt’s horse?
5a. Mutt’s horse is Edana, because she is the safest capaill uisce (water horse) that Sean knows. (131)
6. Why does Puck want Sean to ride in the capaill uisce (water horse) that Sean offers to Puck?
6a. She knows that if Sean cannot handle the wild horse, neither can she, so she wants to see if she’s able to handle it, making Sean her pawn. (153)
7. Why does Puck go the parade?
7a. She has to sign up for the race there. (162)
8. Where is Gabe when Puck finds him?
8a. She finds Gabe at the pub gambling with some people. (172)
9. When Eaton rejects Puck from riding in the races, what does Sean say to make Eaton give in?
9a. He says that the sea would decide who lives and who dies, and that it shouldn’t matter that a girl can join a race that has been males only for a long time. (198)
10. Why does Sean quit working for Malvern?
10a. Benjamin Malvern does not accept his deals to buy Corr, so he quits. (219)
11. What does Mutt do to Edana?
11a. She slices her hamstrings so she couldn’t walk, because he thought that Edana was actually Corr. (340)
12. Why does Puck dream up stories of winning the races?
12a. She knows that she cannot afford to lose the races, and she wants to keep Finn’s hopes up (293)
13. How many times has Sean lost to Ian Privett?
13a. He has lost to Ian twice in all his years of racing. (367)
14. Why does Mutt want Skata?
14a. Mutt wants to defeat Sean by using Skata. Though she is fast, she isn’t used for her speed. Mutt knows that Skata is still wild on the inside, and that Skata can kill Puck or Corr.(387)
15. How does Sean get Corr?
15a. Finn gambled that Puck would win, and she had bets against her, because no one believe that she would actually win. She did win, however, and she bought Corr for Sean. (403)