MY OPINION: After I read this book, I learned all the struggles of an Ugmur girl. First I didn’t really like the book because it was boring but as I forced myself to read it everyday, I found it interesting and different. I also learned that Muslim kids call their mom and dad Ana and Ata in their language. Some parts are hard because they talk about Muslim cultures, which does not make sense and it is a little hard to pronounce the names of some people. The author uses complex vocabulary but the good thing about this book is that, the reader can learn about Muslim people and their culture which is really interesting. The author provides details that makes the reader want to keep reading. I would recommend this book to Middle schoolers and High schoolers because of the wide vocabulary. At the same time, I would give this book a 7 out of 10. I would say this book is good.
QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY
- Why did Megriguls father leave her alone every Wednesday?
He leaves her alone every Wednesday because he goes off to gamble and drink.
- Is Mehrigul’s Friend Hajinsa rich or poor?
Hajinsa is really rich and bossy.
- Why did the Chinese people take over Ugmur?
Chinese people thought that Ugmur people were living their place.
- why can’t Mehrigul speak English?
She can’t speak English because she is Ugmur and they don’t teach English to kids unless they go to school.
- Why did Mehmet leave his family?
He left his family because he was old enough and he didn’t like the Chinese people ruling over them.
- What does ‘assalamualaikum’ mean?
It means peace be unto you.
- Why do Ugmur kids call their mom ‘Ana’? Kids call their mom ‘Ana’ because it mean Mom in Ugmur.
- where did Mehrigul and her family live?
Mehrigul and her family live on an oasis.
- Why did Mehrigul’s dad take her baskets?
He took her baskets to sell them in the Pilgrimage Market where things cost less than usual.
- Why did Mehrigul’s Mom support her husband?
She thought Mehrigul lied to her about her dad stealing her baskets.
- What did Mehrigul’s dad say when she showed him the basket?
He wanted her to sell the baskets for a high amount and he was disappointed.
- Why did Mehrigul’s dad not sign the paper?
He didn’t sign it because he was going to the main office the other week.
- Did the American lady come back at the right time?
No. She came back after a long time.
- Did Mehrigul’s dad come back late?
No. He came back early and bought her a scarf.
- Did Mehrigul’s grandpa like Mehriguls basket?
He liked it and said that it was very special.