During the beginning of the book, I had trouble figuring out what was going on because the story kept on changing from the present to the past. This confused me because they would be on the island and suddenly they would be back in the detention cell. Later on it became more clear after they finished all of the back story and stayed in the present. The story itself was good, but the vocabulary used was not at and eighth grade level, so I would recommend it to sixth graders or the eleven year old age group. One of the strengths of this book how everything is very descriptive and allows the reader to experience the adventure with the main character. I think that this story teaches people how to control their anger and also to respect everything and everyone. I would rate this book an 8 out of 10.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1. What does Garvey call Cole?
1a. Garvey calls Cole champ. (pg. 11)
2. Where is Edwin from?
2a. Edwin is from Drake. (pg. 14)
3. How did Cole try to get off of the island?
3a. Cole tries to escape the island by swimming (pg. 32)
4. What does Cole use to kill the bear.
4a. Cole makes a spear to kill the bear. (pg. 65)
5. What animal does Cole worry about after the storm.
5a. The baby sparrows are what Cole worries about after the storm. (pg. 79)
Wisecracking (pg. 3)
Skiff (pg. 19)
Parol (pg. 40)
Chuffs (pg. 58)
Flitted (pg. 75)
6. What does Cole do with the hairs of the Spirit Bear?
6a. He decides to toss the hairs of the Spirit Bear into the water. (pg. 112)
7. Why is Edwin late to the Circle meeting?
7a. Edwin is late to the Circle meeting because of all of the traffic. (pg. 124)
8. Who else has seen the Spirit Bear
8a. A fishing crew has also seen the Spirit Bear on the island. (pg. 129)
9. What is the first dance that Cole dances?
9a. The first dance that Cole dances is the whale dance. (pg. 151)
10. What two activities do Cole and Edwin do every day?
10a. The two activities that Cole and Edwin everyday are soaking in the pond and rolling the ancestor rock. (pg. 143 & 154)
Whiffs (pg. 81)
Amble (pg. 96)
Relinquish (pg. 119)
Gunwales (pg. 134)
Fester (pg. 146)
11. How does Cole become invisible?
11a. He clears his mind in order to become invisible. (pg. 189)
12. Why can’t Edwin stay with Cole and Peter?
12a. Edwin cannot stay with Cole on the island because he has fishing season. (pg. 206)
13. What is Cole’s favorite meal?
13a. Cole’s favorite meal on the island is spaghetti with hot dog. (pg. 215)
14. What carving on Cole’s totem does Peter destroy?
14a. Peter destroyed the the Spirit Bear carving on Cole’s totem. (pg. 228)
15. What does Peter teach Cole how to carve?
15a. Peter teaches Cole how to carve a perfect circle. (pg. 240)
Peppered (pg. 162)
Bouts (pg. 182)
Gunned (pg. 202)
Fitfully (pg. 203)
Trawler (pg. 218)