When I got assigned to read Hatchet, I knew I wouldn’t like it since I hate reading, but after reading a couple of chapters I was intrigued by the story line. Brian’s life has been changed since his parents got divorced. While he was stranded on the island, he learned many new skills, such as making a fire, hunting, fishing, building a shelter. He started to mature and become emotionally stronger. Through Brian, I learned that maturity can arise from many different situations. Maturity is not just about getting older. It is about how you handle yourself in tough situations. The words that the author uses in the story are complicated and hard to understand. The author’s use of words create a clear image in the readers’ minds. I would recommend this book to middle schoolers because of the high vocabulary and the exquisite story line. I give this book eight out of ten stars.
STUDY QUESTIONS AND VOCABULARY:
1. What was the worst pain that Brian felt when he woke up the next day?
1a. He felt his head throbbing (pg. 33).
2. Why did the Cessna crash?
2a. The plane crashed because it ran out of gas (pg. 25).
3. How often did Brian use the radio to call for help?
3a. He used the radio every 10 minutes. (pg. 20).
4.Where was Brian Robeson going over the summer with his dad?
4a. Brian was headed to the oil fields in Canada. (pg. 20).
5. Why did Brian parents divorce?
5a. His mom was involved with another man and his dad found out so they broke up. (pg. 6).
Tundra (pg. 7)
Hatchet (pg. 8)
Hokey (pg. 9)
Altimeter (pg. 16)
Keening (pg. 34)
6.How will Brian make a fire?
6a. Brian will make a fire by using the sparks from when the rock scraped against the hatchet. (pg. 86).
7. What animal hurt Brian?
7a. A porcupine hurt Brian. (pg. 81).
8. How has Brian’s body changed since he crashed in the Canadian wilderness?
8a. Since the crash his stomach has curved in, his skin is tanned, and his face is leathery from the sun. (pg. 104-105).
9. What tool must Brian make to be able to hunt?
9a. To hunt, he must make a bow and arrow. (pg. 124).
10. What did Brian do when he heard the plane?
10a. When Brian heard the plane, he ran to the hill to make a fire. (pg. 116).
Wuffling (pg. 74)
Rivulets ( pg. 77)
Skittered (pg. 86)
Haunches ( pg. 87)
Convulse ( pg. 101)
11. How did the moose react when it saw Brian?
11a. The moose attacked Brian when he saw him. (pg. 150-151).
12. How was Brian able to get into the plane?
12a. To get into the plane, he had to cut through the aluminum with his hatchet. (pg. 173-174).
13. What made Brian sick when he was under the water looking for the survival pack?
13a. Brian got sick when he saw the skull of the pilot (pg. 180-181).
14. How did the item in the survival bag change Brian?
14a. The items in the survival bag made him feel more removed from the world around him
15. When Brian was preparing his feast, what appeared out of the sky?
15a. A airplane appeared out of the sky. (pg. 190-191).
Foolbirds (pg. 138)
Pronounced (pg. 170)
Fuselage (pg. 177)
Eeled (pg. 179)
Instinctive (pg. 181)